Hilly Fields Midsummer Fayre 2017
Saturday 24 June 2017 (from 12pm – 5pm)
on Hilly Fields, Brockley, London SE4 1QA
Our hugely popular summer event is nearly upon us!!
As always there will be a wide range of delicious hot and cold foods, refreshing ales, singing and dancing, charity displays, competitions, a birds-of-prey display, fun fair, Brockley’s best bric-a-brac market by a country mile, and much, much more!
View or download the programme for this year’s event here.
See below for details on how you can get involved with running a stall, volunteering at the event, entering a competition etc. There’s still time, and we need as much help as we can get!
There are numerous ways you can get involved…
- Running a stall (non catering)
- Running a catering stall
- Volunteering with the organisation (beforehand and on the day)
- Distributing printed programmes
- Donate a prize / Sponsor / Advertise
- Baking a cake
- Enter a competition (Under 18s only)
See sections below for more details.
Run a Stall (non catering)
Why not join dozens of others and run one of the many stalls that give the Fayre its unique atmosphere? Please use this application form for a general non-catering stall (bric-a-brac, art and craft, community groups etc). The PDF version is suited for printing out and returning by post; the Word version can be completed and returned by email. (For Catering Stall applications, please see section below).
Full instructions can be downloaded here.
The deadline for applications has been extended; they must be received and paid for no later than Wednesday 21st June 2017.
The Fayre has been running for 42 years, and is one of the most exciting events in Brockley. It is run ENTIRELY BY VOLUNTEERS, of which we need about 60 in total. There are a wide range of roles, meaning there’s something for everyone! Why not get involved in this hugely successful community event? It’s agreat chance to meet other locals, and everyone involved really enjoys it.
Teams take charge of specific aspects of the organisation, each with a Team Captain. Some teams operate beforehand, others only on the day. To register your interest in helping out, or to find out more, please contact:
The following tables summarise the various roles (you can view/download a PDF of the same here).
Distributing printed programmes
Our beautiful programme is now out. You can view/download it as a PDF, but we also have 8,000 printed copies to distribute free as publicity for the event. Can you help?? Local shops, schools, parks, pubs & bars, train stations etc etc. Some suggestions include:
- Brockley Station, on Friday 16 June: any time until 23 June but especially peak hours (8-10am; 5-7pm)
- St John’s, Crofton Park, Ladywell or Honor Oak stations: any time until 23 June but especially peak hours (8-10am; 5-7pm)
- Schools: Could you hand them outside any schools to waiting parents
We can arrange to drop them to you, or you can collect some from:
- 76 Tyrwhitt Road, SE4 1QB (help yourself to boxes outside the front door)
- Pistachio’s Cafe on Hilly Fields (ask at the counter)
- Sunflower Centre, 81 Tressillian Road, Hilly Fields, SE4 1XZ (ask the receptionist)
- Crofton Park Library
To get involved, please send an email to
Baking a cake
Cake! Everybody loves cake!! A centrepiece (and great fund-raiser) of the Fayre is the ‘Tea and Cake’ stall, which depends entirely on support from the community. So all you aspiring contestants for the ‘Great British Bake Off’… please get busy! Be creative, and bring one (or more!) along on the day. Just drop them off at the stall…
Enter a Competition (under 18s only)
There are 5 competitions at the Fayre this year, open to all Under-18s:
A. CAKE DECORATING
Theme: ‘Summer in the Park’.
Categories: Under 12s; 12 – 18yrs.
B. ART (any medium)
Categories: Under 12s; 12-18yrs
C. VEGETABLE MODELLING
Theme: anything (but animals are always pleasing!)
Under 12s only.
Just bring your entry to the competitions table in the main marquee on the day of the Fayre and you could win a fantastic prize! Judging will take place from 3pm, with Winners announced and and Prizegiving from 4.l5pm.
- PLEASE REMEMBER TO PUT YOUR NAME, AGE AND TELEPHONE NUMBER ON THE BACK/BASE OF YOUR ENTRY.
- FREE ICE CREAM VOUCHER FOR EVERY ENTRY!
Advertising, Prizes and Sponsorship
The Midsummer Fayre is the biggest annual community event in the area, attracting over 5,000 people. Its purpose is to strengthen the local community and to raise funds for Brockley Society’s charitable objectives. Local businesses can benefit by supporting the Fayre, and there are three main ways to be involved – each of which provides an excellent opportunity to promote your business to the local community.
1) Advertise in the Fayre Programme. This will be distributed free to around 8000 homes in the area, during the fortnight leading up to the event. See last year’s programme here.
2) Donate a prize. Your business can donate a prize which directly promotes your services. Prizes (to be drawn and announced on the day) will be listed and each business thanked individually on the back of the programme.
3) Become a Headline Sponsor of the Fayre. Your business will be listed as a Headline Sponsor on the front cover of the Fayre programme, you will receive a full page advert in the programme, and on the day your business will be thanked over the PA system as a major sponsor. Find out more about this great opportunity to reach thousands of locals; download the the Sponsorship Information Sheet here.
Please note that in order to have enough time to print and distribute the programmes before the event, the deadline for artwork and payment is Monday 16th May.
Please contact us directly if you need to discuss extending this deadline.
Completed forms (along with cheque or payment details, and any relevant associated files / documents) should be sent to: Brockley Society, PO Box 63473, London SE4 9AZ
Please send digital files and any queries to:
THE DEADLINE FOR SPONSORSHIP BIDS IS TUESDAY 2ND MAY 2017.
THE DEADLINE FOR ARTWORK AND PAYMENT IS MONDAY 16TH MAY 2017.
The application form (with information) is available to download here.
NB: this application MUST be completed and returned by post, along with payment by cheque, and the copies of the relevant associated documents.
Completed forms should be sent to: Brockley Society, PO Box 63473, London SE4 9AZ
The deadline is Friday 26th May 2017.
Gallery of photos of previous Fayres